formerly Station Hotel
Real Ale is sold here.
41 Beach Station Rd, IP11 2EY
grid reference TM 292 334
traditional bar, opened 1883 (rebuilt 1959)
A traditional bar with accommodation, located close to the former Felixstowe Beach railway station which once offered easy access to the ferry terminus for foot passengers. Live music on Friday evenings. Good value accommodation (12 rooms).
The Dolphin is Suffolk's most southerly pub.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Live music
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Real fire
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Separate bar
- Traditional pub games available
Railway station about 1.5 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The original pub is shown (as the Station Hotel) on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Station Hotel's license was issued in 1878. This was probably when it was first licensed.
In 1867, Colonel (George) Tomline (1813-89) purchased 6,000 acres of coastal land from the Duke of Hamilton on which he soon started to build roads and houses. He also began a campaign to build a railway from Ipswich to Felixstowe and was soon chairman of the Felixstowe Railway and Pier Company. This resulted in a new branch line and many new developments in Felixstowe. The Station hotel was part of this early development.
Beach Station Road was formerly called Station Road…
A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".
Beach Station (opposite) was the first of Felixstowe's 3 railway stations to be opened - by Colonel Tomline, in 1877, when it stood at the end of a single line.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)