Photo of Brewers' Arms

grid reference TM 103 658

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

listed building grade II

CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.

last updated 30/12/2019

Mendlesham Brewers' Arms

historical closure era: mid 20th century

closed February 29th, 1925

40 Old Market St

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

The main part of the building dates from the 16th century, with extensions to the right in the 18th and 19th.

It was licensed as an unnamed beerhouse until 1922. On January 8th 1922, Christmas George Holden took over the license and for the first time the name "Brewers' Arms" appeared in the licensing record.

The pub was closed 1925 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Closure date from Hartismere licensing records.

(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(*** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)