closed 30th April 1965
last owner/operator: Lacon's
grid reference TM 117 669
The Griffin was built early in the 16th century.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. interactive map
A report in the Ipswich Journal, June 3rd 1837***, stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Griifin, Brockford.
Margaret Clarke broke into the Griffin and stole a 13lb ham. Bullock caught her before she got too far. She claimed she was carrying the ham to Eye for a man. The jury found her guilty and she received 3 months hard labour.Ipswich Journal, August 13th 1870** (when William Bullock was landlord)
Bullock was a witness in the trial of a George Girling who was convicted of highway robbery with violence and received 9 months hard labour and 20 lashes of the cat.Ipswich Journal, August 5th 1871** (when William Bullock was landlord)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from the Eye licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.