The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.last updated 26/04/2019
Lowestoft Fisherman's Armshistorical era: mid 20th century
75 Whapload Rd
This pub has been reported at number 6, but the 1910 Lowestoft Rate book places it at number 75, when the pub was owned by Youngmans & Preston. (The road was renumbered between 1901 & 1911).
It remained a tavern up to 1922 from that date it became a Fishmongers and remained so until 1938. After the Second World War it was pulled down and a Cold Store was built on the site.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1880 states that :
Mr T Sayer made an application to transfer the license for the Fishermans Arms to new premises situated on the corner of Battery green Road. There was a strong objection to the proposed new site as the area was considered quiet and respectable. It was also where church goers congregated on a Sunday morning as it was the principal route from town avoiding the nuisance of Herring Fleet Score. A further objection was that the Inn would be opposite the newly acquired vicarage. The application was withdrawn in the face of such strong opposition.Ipswich Journal, September 1880**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)