app

Framlingham Griffin Inn

Framlingham Griffin Inn

Closed unknown

opened pre-1686

Market Hill

Access to the bar was from a side passage.

The frontage dates from the mid-19th century, though the core of the building is known to be much older. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History tells us that a deed of 1686:

describes The Griffin Inn as lying between the Crown Inn and the Lion Inn Yard.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)


© 2007-2020, the Campaign for Real Ale in Suffolk. Developed by Tony Green.


This site uses cookies to a very limited extent. For details of why, and to see our privacy policy, please visit this page.