Closed between 1840 and 1920
grid reference TL 874 413
It's been claimed that the Chequers stood where the Town Hall now stands, but since we have a news report about the pub from 1856 (see the historical section) and the Town Hall was built in 1828, this seems to be wrong.
Gaol Lane was originally called Chequer Lane, so the location is evidently correct.
To be lett and enter'd upon immediately or at Christmas next, the Chequer Inn in Sudbury. The House is fronted with Brick, the Windows Sashed, well repaired and stands well for Custom; with good Stables, Hay-Chambers, and a Brewing House; Or in Tenements, with Shops or without.Ipswich Journal, November 10th 1739***
Mr J. Hutton married Drusilla, daughter of the late Mr J.S. MORTIMER, of the White Hart Inn, Nayland & sister to Mrs GROSS of the Chequers Inn, Sudbury.Ipswich Journal, April 22nd 1856***
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)