Closed: between 1840 and 1920
grid reference TM 166 442 (approximate location)
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on a town assessment of 1689. It was probably in Lower Orwell Street, St Mary on the Quay parish, based on the 1841 census. However it has also been listed at Lower Orwell Place, Lower Brook street and Salt House st.
Married on the 23rd of May, at St Mary Key Church, Ipswich, by Rev, W Harbur, Mr William Ward, landlord of the Castle Inn Lower Brook St, to Miss Retty Orris, of St Mary Tower.Ipswich Journal, May 1850**
William Goss a sheep dresser was charged with stealing 19s from J Betts while he was drinking in the Castle.Bury & Norwich Post, March 26th 1861** (when Mrs Nunn was landlady)
At the Ipswich Petty Sessions held in September 1865 James Pallant made an application for a spirit license for the Castle Inn, Lower Orwell Street, which was suspended two years ago in consequence of irregularities in the house. Mr Pallant had been landlord for the past year and conducted it responsibly. The house is owned by Messrs. Ridley. Application rejected…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)