also traded as Two Cocks, Cock and Crown
opened 1609 or earlier
grid reference TM 170 440 (approximate location)
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689.
The adjacent junction was once known as Cock corner.
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held on festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
A pub on this site was later known as the Welcome Sailor, but this may have been a later construction.
To be lett, the Cock, in St Clement's Parish, Ipswich. Enquire of Mr Smith, Common Brewer in St Nicholas Parish.Ipswich Journal, June 29th 1745***
Jeremiah White, landlord of the Cock in St Clement's Parish Ipswich offered a half Guinea Reward to anyone who could bring John Churchwood to him for a theft of his property, including two coats, several good shirts, a Pair of Bags, several Pair of Stockings and a Handkerchief.Ipswich Journal, October 1st 1748***
(The thief should not have been hard to locate as apparently, he was about five feet tall, wearing a brown wig, a Fustian Frock, a Plaid Waistcoat and a Pair of almost new Boots).
To be lett, the Cock in St Clement's Parish and the Three Cups, an old accustom'd House, in St Nicholas Parish…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)