The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 07/05/2019
also traded as as: Two Cocks, Cock and Crownhistorical era: ancient
opened 1609 or earlier
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689.
The adjacent junction was once known as Cock corner.
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held on festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
A pub on this site was later known as the Welcome Sailor, but this may have been a later construction.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)