CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich Black Boy
also traded as as: Black Boy and Still?historical closure era: ancient
The Black Boy is believed to have been somewhere in the Fore Street or Duke Street area, but was certainly in St Mary at the Tower parish, as it was one of only 24 inns listed in a 1689 town assessment, which had it in that parish.
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held during festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)