The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/05/2018
Ipswich Black Boy
also traded as as: Black Boy and Still?historical era: ancient
The Black Boy is believed to have been somewhere in the Fore Street or Duke Street area, but was certainly in St Mary at the Tower parish, as it was one of only 24 inns listed in a 1689 town assessment, which had it in that parish.
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held during festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)