app

Lawshall Green Man

Lawshall Green Man

Closed between 1958 and 1980

Folly Ln

grid reference TL 848 570

The Green Man is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1958, but by the 1980 sheet it's marked "The Willows", so evidently closed between those dates.

The building is now almost completely obscured from the road by trees, so our photographer couldn't get a good picture as he didn't want to trespass.

It has also been reported as being in Whepstead, as it's very close to the parishes' mutual boundary. However, as this report from the Bury Free Press** makes clear, it was in Lawshall.

July 19th 1879…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

A Green Man is a sculpture, drawing, or other representation of a face surrounded by or made from leaves. Also frequently found on carvings in churches and other buildings (both secular and ecclesiastical).

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** news report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X