grid reference TM 259 482Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Woodbridge Duke of Yorkhistorical closure era: ancient
Barrack Rd (and Ipswich Rd)
This ancient pub was demolished a long time ago and up to the end of the 20th century was the site of a garage. In 1999 the garage was itself demolished and the Seal (since renamed the Duke of York) was built on the site.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
There have been many Dukes of York - the song (Grand Old D of Y) usually refers to Frederick Augustus (1763-1827), second son of George III. He commanded the English army in Flanders in 1794-95. But the song misrepresents the facts as he was only 31, had 30,000 men and had no hills close to where he was fighting. Some claim it could be a reference to Woodbridge Rd hill (close to central Ipswich) when an army barracks was located a little further along the same road?