app

Hundon Red House (older)

Hundon Red House (older)

Closed about 1935

Steeplechase Rd

grid reference TL 728 512

The Red House was demolished to make way for the nearby airfield (RAF Stradishall) which was built from 1935 onwards and was one of the first pre-war airfields to have concrete runways.

It had been open since before 1882, as this advertisement in the Bury & Norwich Post*** makes clear:

August 1st 1882

The beerhouse known as Hundon Red House for sale with 11 acres of arable land with a bakers and grocers shop attached. Knocked down to Mr Webb from Stradishall for £600.

Map

map
expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

X