grid reference TM 048 587Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II*
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 14/01/2017
Stowmarket Horse & Groom
also traded as as: Coach & Horses, Norwich Ale Storeshistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened about 1866
3 Station Rd
This may also have been listed at Stowupland Street. The building is mainly from the late 14th century, with 15th and 20th century alterations.
It's known to have been trading as a beerhouse by 1866. It was owned for most of the time by the Hatten family of Great Finborough but leased to various breweries including W.G. Ranson's Stowmarket Brewery and later Morgan's Norwich Brewery.
According to the 1909 Rates book, it was a beerhouse, "late temperance hotel".
From about 1883 it was known as Norwich Ale Stores. It isn't clear when the Coach & Horses and Horse & Groom names were in use.
After closure it was owned by The Dykes family who ran a bicycle shop from the premises. They also ran The Temperance Hotel.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.