Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now been allowed to reopen. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Little Cornard Bell

Little Cornard Bell

also traded as One Bell

Closed between 1920 and 1970

Spout Ln

grid reference TL 904 376

We were told the Bell was in Spout Lane, though the map below shows (albeit not very clearly) a beerhouse slightly further east, actually in Upper Road. Although this may have been a different beerhouse it seems most likely it was the Bell. It can be seen on the 1928 OS map as a beerhouse, but the 1958 map doesn't show it, so presumably it closed between those dates. The current building will be about a century old, as a report in the Suffolk Free Press** on 30 Aug 1911 makes clear:

At a meeting of the Petty Sessions, Mr Mauldon said that the Bell Inn at Little Cornard which had been destroyed by fire has been compltely rebuilt…





Historical interest

Historical interest





(** reports reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.