Closed about 1925
1-3 Orford St
grid reference TM 156 449
The Grapes stood on the corner of Orford St and Norwich Road and was, incorporated into the Hare and Hounds in about 1926. Certainly it was after 1922, as we have directory records for both pubs in that year. The original Hare & Hounds was the low section of the building to the left when looking across Norwich Road, the Grapes was the taller section at the corner running back along Orford Street.
It's listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so evidently closed after 1923, though probably not much later as the Ipswich Rate book for 1909 (which was used for an unknown period after that) records that it was closed some time during the period the book was in use.
At a Petty Sessions hearing on September 29th 1860 The Grapes was refused a new spirit licence. Out of the twenty four applications only three establishments were granted licences.
An advert in the The Bury and Norwich Post, Tuesday March 13th 1866***, lists this pub as part of the sale of Stonham Brewery together with 26 other premises.
At the Ipswich Petty Sessions of June 1885, the license for the Grapes, Orford Street, was transferred from Albert Lang to Arthur Burch. Ipswich Journal, June 1885**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Petty sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings).
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)