Photo of Dog & Partridge

grid reference TL 723 737

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.

last updated 08/02/2020

Barton Mills Dog & Partridge

historical closure era: late 20th century

Newmarket Rd

Overview | Gallery | Historical info | Public transport | Map

This was a thatch roofed pub. Sadly Alice Wesley 68 died in severe fire at pub (on Sun 25 Jan 1959). Her two brothers, John & Richard Tolworthy (both over 70) and her son, John Wesley together with his family escaped fire. The pub was very badly damaged in the fire. A report of fire was published in EADT on Mon 26 Jan 1959.

Not sure when pub was finally closed, but it was still open in early 1990s.

The pub can be seen here on an OS map of the 1890s. (larger map)

old OS map

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.