grid reference TL 884 646Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
Rougham is part of the Rushbrooke with Rougham parish
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 11/01/2020
Rougham Flying Fortresshistorical closure era: 21st century
Mount Rd, IP31 2QU
A substantial open-plan and modern styled free house set well back from the road, with tiled floors and decorated with photos and artefacts mainly related to the former World War Two airbase (Rougham) that was located nearby. The original building was much extended late in the 20th century. Although still enjoying a relatively rural setting, in recent years the pub has been less isolated as new housing of the suburbs of Bury St Edmunds has encroached eastwards.
Although often described as being in Great Barton, and sometimes in Bury, the pub is actually within the parish of Rougham.
Currently closed and boarded up, having been purchased by Greene King. It's believed that it should eventually reopen as a Hungry Horse outlet, though it seems to be taking a long time for anything to happen; as our most recent photograph shows, the place seems to have been left to become derelict.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress was a four-engine heavy bomber aircraft developed for the United States Army Air Corps (USAAC) in the 1930s. The B-17 was subsequently used by the US Army Air Forces (USAAF) in their daylight precision strategic bombing campaign of WWII against German industrial, civilian, and military targets from 1943-45 and many were based on Suffolk airfields. Of the 1.5 million tonnes of bombs dropped on Germany by U.S. aircraft, 640,000 were dropped from B-17s. About 4,750, or one third, of B-17s built were lost in combat.