The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 12/01/2018
Ipswich Dog & Partridge
also traded as as: Green Dragon, Partridge?historical era: Victorian / Edwardian
14 St Margarets Plain / St
The Green Dragon is shown at 14 St Margaret's Plain in the 1871 census, which is the same address as the Dog & Partridge in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. One report puts it opposite the Running Buck, which would make it either where the building that was Bar Fontayne was later erected or nearby.
It's shown in a World War 1 photograph to the left (east) of GT Cook, shoeing smith, 12 St. Margaret's Plain (south side). It's not a pub in the 1932 Kelly's Directory. (Ipswich at War, John Smith, et. al.)
The Dog & Partridge is also reported as being on Old Foundry Road. This may actually be another name for the Partridge. (Or perhaps it had entrances in both streets?)
Although one source suggests 1915 for the closure date, the pub is listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so must have closed after 1923. The entry in the 1909 Rates book has been annotated "Late" Dog & Partridge. This book seems to have been in use until the early 30s, so the 1932 date seems reasonable. This may tie in with the possibility that it stood where Bar Fontayne was, as that building was erected in the 1930s, so perhaps the pub closed and was demolished.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.