grid reference TM 412 709Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 03/03/2019
Darsham Royal Oakhistorical closure era: Victorian / Edwardian
Lymeballs Ln or London Rd
The Royal Oak appears at this approximate location on the 1837 OS map. It doesn't appear on the 1884 map, so may have closed by then. Having studied licensing records from 1874 through to 1967 and found no sign of it, we conclude this pub must have closed before 1874.
The 1910 Rate book shows Oak Cottage owned by WJ Catchpole but subdivided into about seven dwellings, so it must have been fairly large even given how small some homes would have been then.
Our map location and picture show what we believe to have probably been the Royal Oak, based on the description from a resident of the old pub building who 'phoned into BBC Radio Suffolk.
It can be seen on this old OS map from 1837
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)