app

Thwaite Cock (High house)

Thwaite Cock (High house)

Closed pre-1840

Norwich Rd

grid reference TM 116 684

According to the Listed Buildings Register, Willow Hall was, at one time, an inn.

The building dates from the 15th century with many 17th century alterations. It was renovated from a state of dereliction in the 1970s.

According to a book called the 'The Norwich Road' by Charles G Harper*** and published 1901 (Harper was a prolific writer and illustrator):

the 'High House' was once a coaching and posting inn ... and now a farmstead ... in former days called the 'Cock'.

The 'Cock,' save that its sign is gone, still remains much as it was, to show a later generation what manner of place the roadside inn was in days of yore.'

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic book information from Stuart Ansell)

X