North West, 52.11254,1.24723
Real Ale is sold here.
The Green, IP13 6TA
grid reference TM 224 509
opened 1838 or earlier
A large, two bar pub located opposite the village green. The basic public bar (to the left) retains a flagstone floor whilst the more plush lounge bar is also used as a restaurant.
Under US Jim Crow laws, during World War Two, the Dog was designated as being for the use of white GIs, with their black compatriots using the Tuddenham Fountain.
The pub holds beer festivals may & August bank holidays.
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
- Separate bar
- Smoking area
- Special events: Beer festivals May & August bank holidays.
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available: Free. Ask at bar for key.
Railway station about 3.8 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
To be lett, the Dog at Grundisburgh. Enquire of Mr Trotman in Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, April 7th 1744***
To be sold by auction all that well accustomed Inn, called the Dog, at Grundisburgh, in full trade, with upwards of an acre of land thereto adjoining, with possession at Michaelmas.Ipswich Journal, January 1820**
Mr William Parker, begs to inform his friends and public generally, he has taken that old established house, the Dog Inn, Grundisburgh, and hopes by selling wines, spirits, and every article of the best quality, to obtain that encouragement and support he now so respectively solicits. W.P…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)