app

Please note that due to the pandemic currently being allowed to run out of control, many pubs are having to close temporarily or restrict their trading hours due to staff sickness or self-isolation. Please check with the pubs if you plan to travel any distance.

Lowestoft Ship & Railway

Lowestoft Ship & Railway

also traded as Dutch Hoy

West, 52.47963,1.75559

closed 1861

99 High St

grid reference TM 551 934

From correspondence (see historical details) it would appear that the pub was called Dutch Hoy in 1841 and earlier. Also soon after 1861 it was split into two public houses with part becoming the Ship whilst the remainder was then called the Railway.

The 1881 census shows 98 & 99 High Street as a grocer's shop.

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

Footnote

The Lowestoft central railway station was built in 1855 by the Lucas Brothers. It was considered a fine example of their work which amongst other outstanding Victorian buildings included the Royal Albert Hall.

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

X