grid reference TM 471 598Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
Thorpeness is part of the Aldringham cum Thorpe parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 21/01/2020
Thorpeness Ogilvie Hallhistorical closure era: 21st century
This was a social club for local residents, but also welcomed visitors, which was made quite clear on the signs outside.
It tended to mainly attract the locals, while visitors were more likely to use the Dolphin.
The club closed in June 2012 as the it had become financially unviable, and the whole building was put on the market. It has now been converted into flats.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The Scottish playwright and barrister Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie decided to build a seaside village at Thorpe on the Suffolk coast. The hamlet was inherited, along with the family estate of Sizewell, when Ogilvie's mother died in 1908.
Ogilvie was a visionary and a romanticist, and wanted to create a seaside retreat in the Jacobean and Tudor styles. He was inspired by the works of J. M. Barrie, the Scottish novelist better known for creating Peter Pan.
Work began in 1910, when some open fields were flooded to create a 65 acre artificial lake called 'The Meare'. For more details see Wikipedia