app

Ipswich Crown & Chequer

Ipswich Crown & Chequer

52.05883,1.15864

Closed :before 1840

St Margaret's Green

grid reference TM 166 447 (approximate location)

It's known that the Crown & Chequer was open at least as long ago as 1743 and had closed by the 1880s.

There also seems to have been a reference to this inn in 1753 at Cocks (Cox) Lane.

NOTE: St Margarets Green was historically called the Thingstead: an ancient name for a meeting place*****

Map

map
expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

(***** information about the Thingstead from http://www.ipswich-lettering.co.uk/streetnames.html)

X