In the light of the latest government instructions, all pubs are now closed until at least December 2nd.
A number of pubs are providing takeaway food and/or drinks during the Covid-19 lockdown. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
After the end of Lockdown, Suffolk will remain in Tier Two, which means that drinks on the premises can only be sold with meals. This of course rules out reopening for the vast majority of pubs. As and when pubs reopen, we will list them on this page and highlight them on location pages.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these terrible times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support of possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Please note that due to government regulations, all takeaway drinks must be pre-booked by telephone, text or other means.
Ipswich Noah's Ark
Ipswich Noah's Ark
Closed about 1805
grid reference TM 168 441 (approximate location)
The earliest references to the Noah’s Ark date from 1653. It was often just known as the "Ark".
The pub's known to have been trading in 1735, but had closed by the 1800s. it was in St Clement's Parish and is now part of the current Lord Nelson.
In 1672 the local Headboroughs ordered William Stephens to repair his pavement. The Noah’s Ark was an Inn rather than just a tavern or alehouse and records for billeting soldiers can also be found from this time.
A report in the Ipswich Journal, December 11th 1756*** states : Ref to John Taller, House-Carpenter, at the Sign of the Noah's Ark in St Clement's Parish, Ipswich.
To be lett, all that ancient and well-accustom'd Publick-House, called or known by the Sign of the Noah's Ark, in St Clement's Parish, Ipswich...Enquire at Robert Parker's, Common-Brewer, Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, March 24th 1770***
Last week was married, Mr Avey, of the Noah’s Ark Inn, Ipswich, to Miss Richers also of Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, June 1800**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)