Hasketon Turk's Head
Hasketon Turk's Head
Due to the latest government regulations, pubs currently have to close by 10pm. Opening hours displayed on this page may not take account of this change.
The pub has reopened.
Real Ale is sold here.
Low Rd, IP13 6JG
grid reference TM 247 506
The pub retains a cosy two room timber framed bar but now incorporates a large new restaurant and kitchen to the rear.
The main drinking area near the bar has a large fireplace with a wood burner fitted. There are three to five beers on hand-pump, which change regularly. An annual beer festival is held in the summer.
The two acre garden includes a large outdoor seating area, two beautiful Petanque pistes, an outdoor fireplace, bicycle racks a and new large parking area. The pub is renowned for its Sunday lunches. During the week the pub is open for tea/coffee & cake from 11am. There are also quiz nights and themed food nights.
The building dates from the 17th century; the brickwork dates from the 19th century.
- Beer festivals: 1st beer, cider and gin festival was in 2016
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Beer served through handpumps
- Cask Marque accredited
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Restaurant or separate dining area
- Traditional pub games available
- WiFi available
Railway station about 2.3 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
The pub is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Closed since 2013 for refurbishment. Reopened on 4th November 2015.
To be sold or lett, the Turk's Head, formerly the Sign of the Chequer, at Woodbridge Hacheston, with two Acres of Ground, planted with Apple and Cherry Trees, with a Barn in the Yard, at the Rent of £8 per Year. Enquire of Mr Walford at Woodbridge.Ipswich Journal, March 17th 1744***
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Turk's Head's license was issued in 1840. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 28 Aug in 1847 advertises the sale of The Turks Head, Hasketon.…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)