The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 12/01/2017
Ipswich Porters Lodgehistorical era: ancient
opened 1815 circa
St Nicholas rd
To be sold by auction, Lot 3, The newly erected brick built freehold messuage and public house, called the, Porter's Lodge, situated in the parish of St. Nicholas, together with stable, yard and large garden adjoining; also an exceedingly convenient, new erected and well suitable coal warehouse, next to the public road, with the said garden at the back thereof, communicating with the River Gipping, capable of containing 3 or 400 cauldrons of coals. Land tax redeemed.Ipswich Journal, July 1815**
A coroners inquest was held at the Royal William public House on the body of Mr Samuel Oldham aged 45, landlord of the Porters Lodge who was found drowned in the Gipping near Deep Corner. In evidence it was deposed that Oldham had been in low spirits for some time. It was supposed that this was due to a law proceeding against him for debt. Oldham had lately kept the Griffin and was an industrious man much respected.Bury & Norwich Post, September 16th 1829** (when Samuel Oldham was landlord)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.