The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 06/03/2017
Ipswich White Hart & Punch Bowlhistorical era: ancient
St Stephens parish
Joseph Mills, at the White-Hart and Punch Bowl, is removed to the Ram, upon the Common Key, Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, July 8th 1749***
To be lett, the White Hart and Punch-Bowl, in St Stephen's Parish, Ipswich. Enquire of William Truss, the present Occupier, who is determined to leave off Business.Ipswich Journal, August 25h 1764***
To be sold, the White Hart and Punch Bowl, in the Parish of St Stephen, Ipswich, with convenient Outhouses, Stables, and other Buildings to the same belonging, and also four other Messuages or Tenements to the same adjoining, and now in the Occupation of Henry Upton, Jn. Pilkington, John Smith and the Widow Emerson. NB. All the Premises are Freehold , and moderately assessed to the Land Tax.Ipswich Journal, April 18th 1767***
To be sold, the White Hart and Punch Bowl, also two Tenements or Cottages adjoining thereto with the Outhouses, Yards and Gardens and Appurtenances thereto belonging, in the Parish of St Stephen in Ipswich, now in the tenure of Mr. Wm. Clarke and others.Ipswich Journal, July 15th 1769***
To be lett, the White Hart and Punch-Bowl, in St Stephen's Parish, Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, July 14th 1770***
To be lett, the White Hart & Punch-Bowl. Enquire of Mr Willett, Brewer in Ipswich aforesaid.Ipswich Journal, July 11th 1772***
Last night (14th December 1775) the House of Mr. Joseph Ashpool, at the White Hart and Punch Bown, in St Stephen's Parish, Ipswich, was taken 3 table and 3 silver tea-spoons, a tea strainer, a pair of tea tongs and about 8 gallons of spiritous Liquors, of different sorts, one of the bottles which they took is marked with White lead and oil.Ipswich Journal, 16 Dec 1775***
To be sold by auction the White Hart and Punch Bowl, with cottage, stables, and yard adjoining, freehold, situated in the parish of St. Stephen's, at Ipswich, and near the Cattle Market.Ipswich Journal, January 1825**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden - this may have been an earlier structure to the current property.