Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now been allowed to reopen. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Beccles Victoria Arms

Beccles Victoria Arms

also traded as Queen Victoria

closed June 1907

23 Ingate

grid reference TM 426 899

Census locations suggest that the Race Horse (1861), the Blacksmith's Arms (by 1881) and the Victoria Arms (by 1891) may all be the same pub. If you can confirm or refute this, please let us know.

The map location is based on what's now 23 Ingate, on the assumption that the numbering scheme is unchanged. The building now at number 23 cannot be the original pub building as it sits back from the line of houses, which was not the case on the OS map of the end of the 19th century.

It evidently closed between June 18th and 24th 1907 as on the former date it's listed as for sale as the Victoria Arms, but on the latter as "formerly known as the Victoria".



Historical interest

Historical interest




(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

Some information from records transcribed by Foxearth & District Local History Society.