The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 12/01/2017
Bury St Edmunds Wellingtonhistorical era: ancient
closed 1824 (10 Oct)
Wellington Public House, Sparhawk Street, BSE, to be sold by Auction on 12 Oct 1824. Particulars from Mr Robert LAMBERT, on the Premises - All those capital & substantial buildings, comprising the messuage, which is now, and until 10th of the present month, will be, used as the Wellington Public House, and the stables & other Outbuildings, belonging thereto, together with the Yards & Appurtenances, the whole extending in length of frontage about 70 feet. The messuage & buildings are in excellent repair, and are well-adapted for conversion to purposes of Trade, or into respectable Dwellings or Cottages. Under the House & Premises are very extensive and excellent arched & other cellars.Ipswich Journal, October 6th 1824***
NOTE: A messuage equates to a dwelling-house and may include outbuildings, orchard, curtilage or court-yard and garden.
To be sold by auction freehold building land, embracing about an acre and a quarter, in the immediate vicinity of the cattle market, Bury St Edmunds. Full licensed public house known as the Wellington, two dwelling houses and a warehouse, in St Andrews Street, in one or three lots.Ipswich Journal, February 1875**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)