Thorpeness is part of the Aldringham cum Thorpe parish
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 13/01/2017
Thorpeness Chequers Innhistorical era: ancient
A Tithe Map of 1840 shows the Chequers Inn Yard, which was a small off-licence beer house, some 200 yards from the present Dolphin. It was once owned by John Cobbold.Inns of the Suffolk Coast, Leonard P Thompson, 1969**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.