Temporary opening hours
Mon: closed (1200-1600 bank holidays)
Real Ale is sold here.
The St (A143), IP29 5SN
grid reference TL 825 614
COVID-19 UPDATE: Pub will offer takeaway food service from w/c 30/3 - please contact pub for details
Now reopen after extended closure and restored to a public house with quality food. Real ales from Adnams and three rotating ales, often including Oakham, Mauldons, Humpty Dumpty, Woodfordes and Bishop Nick, with two on hand pump and two on gravity dispense.
Built about 1830, it's a flint faced, cottage style pub with a series of seating areas.
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Beer garden or other outside drinking area
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Dogs welcome
- Evening meals
- Family friendly
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
- Real fire
Railway station about 3.4 miles away (see transport links for details)
Nearest railway station
After a long history, this pub was converted into a Thai restaurant which actually did sell Real Ale. In May 2014 it was taken over and closed by Hawthorn Leisure, who applied for planning permission to convert it into a house. When visited in June 2015, the building was on the market and clearly abandoned.
A local campaign was launched late in 2015 to try to get the pub reopened.
In August 2016 it was announced that a local businessman has bought the pub and intended to reopen it. The pub reopened at the end of November 2016.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)