The address of this page (and the entire website) has changed and the old address will soon cease to exist. Please adjust your bookmarks accordingly.
grid reference TL 851 640
owner freeemail us
- Mon-Sat: 1100-2330
- Sun: 1200-1700
regular real ales
Crouch Vale Brewers Gold, Woodforde's Wherry
4 changing guests
Local licensing authority for Bury St Edmunds is West Suffolk
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 26/04/2017
Bury St Edmunds Oakes Barn
Real Ale is available here
St Andrews St South, IP33 3PH
A new build real ale pub, which opened on Thursday, November 21st 2013 and has established itself as a well-regarded community pub with excellent ale.
There are some period features and historic links within this traditionally run one bar pub, which serves up to six Real Ales by hand-pump plus three cask ciders. Light snacks are served all day, as are hot beverages. A beer garden is currently being planned; with a covered smoking area already available outside.
Children are welcome daytime/early evening.
A meeting room/function room is available free-of-charge to local community groups and is also available to hire for private functions (up to about 30 people).
According to the Bury Free Press:
The pub's name showcases its historical links with yarn merchant and banker James Oakes, who built the original building as a wool combing shed. Its logo also includes an oak tree, which he featured on his bank notes and is on the sign outside Lloyds Bank - once the Oakes Bevan & Co Bank.
Beer served through handpulls
Real draught cider available
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Function room available to hire
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 0.7 mile away (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
James Oakes was a historical figure in the town and part of the building used to be his stables.