Closed before 1840
High St (near the Corn Hill)
One of several pubs in the town that used to host cock-fighting in eighteenth and early nineteenth century. This bloody spectacle could last several hours and was eventually banned in 1835. A one time it was particularly popular as a form of gambling and bouts were often held on festival days and during the Ipswich horse racing week.
To be left, an Ancient and well accustomed Inn, called the Chequer, near the Corn-hill in Ipswich with convenient Stables and Outhouses and all other Nacessaries, with the Conveniency and Liberty of Brewing their own Beer, and not being confined to any particular Maltster. Inquire of Mr John Chenery of Needham, Grocer or of Mr Benjamin Freshfield, Carpenter, in St Clemon's Parish in Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, March 26th & April 2nd 1726***
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, 25 January 25th 1729***, to the Chequer in St Matthew's in Ipswich.
To be lett, and enter'd upon at Lady Day next or Midsummer, the Chequer Inn in St Matthew's Parish, Ipswich…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)