app
close

Important Covid information

The first tranche of pubs (those able to serve outdoors) have now been allowed to reopen. The rest of our pubs may be permitted to reopen from May 17th.

Pubs providing takeaways continue to be listed on this page.

Those known to have reopened or to be planning to reopen as soon as permitted are listed on this page.

Stowmarket Hat and Feather

Stowmarket Hat and Feather

Closed about 1772

opened about 1674

The pub is mentioned in the deeds of the Independent Meeting House [now URC church] in the early 1700s as standing to the left of the meeting House site. Earliest mention is in 1674 when it was owned by a John North, his daughter Margaret married the John Crane mentioned. In 1755 it was advertised to let "consisting of 5 lower rooms 4 chambers 2 large cellars a wine vault and 3 stables with a handsome garden" last mention of it is 1772. The building was much later premises of H. Gooding plumber and decorator.from Neil Langridge

expand

Historical interest

Historical interest

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)


© 2007-2021, the Campaign for Real Ale in Suffolk. Developed by Tony Green.


This site uses cookies to a very limited extent. For details of why, and to see our privacy policy, please visit this page.