Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.

last updated 25/01/2020

Melton Green Man (Halfway house)

also traded as as: Cock

historical closure era: ancient

Overview | Historical info

A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, July 14th 1744***, to Richard Gibbs at the Green Man in Melton (lately the Sign of the Cock, and often call'd the Halfway House).

A large Show of Lambs at the Green-Man, commonly call'd the Half-Way-House at Melton. Landlord Richard Gibbs.Ipswich Journal, July 6th 1745***
Isaac Good advertised a large Shew of Sheep and Lambs at the Green Man, Melton.Ipswich Journal, July 28th 1764***
To be let, in a private or public way, the House, called the Green Man in Melton...with a barn, stables, orchard, garden and 16 acres of land.Ipswich Journal, 24 July 1779***
William Cook, keeper of a beer shop called the Green man, at Melton, pleaded guilty to a charge of having on Sunday 16th February 1840, kept his house open between 11 and 12 in the forenoon contrary to his license, he was fined 15s and costs.Ipswich Journal, March 1840**

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)