Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Ipswich Case is Altered
Ipswich Case is Altered
Real Ale is sold here.
341-343 Woodbridge Rd, IP4 4EZ
grid reference TM 177 451
opened about 1815
A large two bar pub.
The original Case is Altered was reputedly built in 1815 to cater for troops billeted in the area. The present building dates from some time between 1904 and 1927; older maps showing the pub only occupying a smaller building located where the eastern end of the present pub now stands. This has since been demolished.
Nearest railway station
The original pub building is shown on this old OS map from about 1902 (interactive map)
Also listed at Albion Hill in 1830, at 901 Woodbridge Rd (1865) and at 353 & 355 Woodbridge Rd (in 1871 & 1874 & 1891).
An announcement of the marriage on the 11th May, at St John’s Church, Ipswich, by the Rev. W S King, William James, only son of Mr W J Cook, of the Case is Altered Inn, to Sarah Emily (Emmie), youngest daughter of the late Charles Roberts, hairdresser, all of Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, May 1890**
The "Case is Altered" was first used by an Elizabethan lawyer, Edmund Plowden and referred to new evidence in a legal case. Later Ben Johnson - an Elizabethan playright - also used it as a name for a comedy (written before 1599).
Mick Holland also reports that the name "case is altered" probably came from the peninsular war (during Napoleonic wars) where the Middlesex regiment were stationed at Casa de Altoria in Spain helping the Spanish and Portuguese forces defeat the French army between 1808 to 1814. At the end of the conflict soldiers were given land and money for their part and several opened pubs named after the town where they were stationed. The name got changed over the years to the "case is altered" hence the fact that today they are all over the country.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)