grid reference TM 161 446Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich Crown & Anchorhistorical closure era: late 20th century
10 Westgate St
The current building stands on the site of earlier pub(s) known to date back to at least the 16th century. These include the Chequers (later renamed Rampant Horse) and the Griffin.
Listed in 1823 as a commercial inn, the old buildings were demolished in 1838.
Rebuilt in 1840s. By 1855 is listed as a posting house, and in 1874 as the "Crown & Anchor Family & Commercial Hotel & posting house".
Gothic ornate front was built in 1898-99
In 1912 it was listed as a commercial hotel & motor garage.
The hotel now houses WH Smith and Clark's.
The hotel is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.
"The man resposible for this sonework re-fronting of The Crown & Anchor Hotel was one of the foremost 19th century Ipswich architects, Thomas W. Cotman, nephew of the famous watercolourist, John Sell Cotman. His use of stone, not a characterisitic local building material in Ipswich, for business premises is unusual and can be seen in other fine town buildings including the nearby Lloyds Chambers on Cornhill" (Ipswich Borough Conservation Officer, Bob Kindred)