grid reference TM 155 450Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Ipswich Duke of Sussex
also traded as as: Duke of Northumberland, Duke of Cumberland, Cumberland Armshistorical closure era: late 20th century
opened about 1860
closed about 1975
2 Cumberland St
In 1932 and 1939 a separate beer retailer is listed at 55 Ann Street, which is an adjacent (adjoining?) building. The landlords were Frederick Finch and Frederick James Finch junior in 1932, and just Frederick James Finch junior (See historical section).
It's now residential.
New flats at the back include the Duke of Sussex in their name.
At a Petty Sessions hearing on 29 September 1860 the Duke of Sussex, Ann Street, St. Matthews was refused a new spirit licence. Out of the twenty four applications only three establishments were granted licences.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Petty Sessions info from Ipswich Journal (Kim Jennings).
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)