grid reference TM 164 434Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 25/01/2020
Ipswich Eagle Tavernhistorical closure era: late 20th century
last owner Tolly Cobbold
67 Wherstead Rd
The Eagle has also been listed at 44-47 Wherstead Road (1871) and at Bath Street. Back in Victorian times Bath Street used to join Wherstead Rd. rather than stopping at Hawes Street as it does now.
Originally only licensed as a beerhouse, according to the Ipswich licensing records, the pub got its full license on March 28th 1960.
Today the building is used as a café.
The landlord of the Eagle tavern, Wherstead road, applied for permission to open at 5 o'clock am for the purposes of supplying coffee to the men employed at the Waterside Works. Permission granted.Ipswich Journal, March 1890**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)