app

Southwold Tom & Jerry

Southwold Tom & Jerry

South East, 52.32378,1.67826

Closed: before 1885

opened 1844

grid reference TM 507 758

A picture in the possession of the Southwold Museum helps us place this building. Although it's been somewhat modified since, it's still identifiable.

According to the museum:

First opened and named in 1844 by Henry Garrod who had moved from running the Crown Inn in the High Street. The Tom & Jerry' was in Constitution Hill and was named after a fashionable London play of the time by William Montcrieiff. 'Tom and Jerry' or Life in London', adapted from a book by Pierce Egan. Henry's sign board was repurposed from the old pulpit sounding board of St Edmund's Church. By the time this photo was taken, Henry had died and the premises was no longer a pub but a grocery run by Henry's unmarried daughter, Elizabeth.

Map

map

X