Ipswich Golden Lion
Ipswich Golden Lion
formerly White Lion
Currently closed - may reopen?
has been empty and on the market for a long time
10 Cornhill, IP1 1DB
grid reference TM 161 446
bar / diner, opened about 1400
A Grade 2 listed hotel building and former posting house, located in one corner of the historic Cornhill. Once it stood beside the moot hall, today it is dwarfed by the Victorian Town Hall.
Originally the whole hotel complex formed the Golden Lion as the large roof sign suggests. The lion statue was once gilded; small remnants of this gilding still remain. Since 1998 the foyer has been used as a restaurant and the separate function room (to the rear) has been used as an occasional live music venue, whilst the hotel business still functions on the upper floors. The pub had a toilet for disabled customers.
The bar area was operated as a single "L" shaped split level room with food and beer festivals. Beers were from the JD Wetherspoon national beer list. Disabled toilet.…
- Accessible to disabled customers
- Accommodation available
- Bus stop nearby (see transport links for details)
- Cider (real draught, not keg) available
- Evening meals
- Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
- Separate bar
- Smoking area
- this page for details"> WiFi available: free. Connect to "Wi-Fi Zone - The Cloud": see this page for details
Railway station about 0.6 miles away (see transport links for details)
Originally called the White Lion, the name changed during the 1570s. According to Alfred Hedges' book "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk", the inn here dates from about 1400.
Church tax records of 1571 record payments: !Of John Sherman for his messuage or lime called the Whit Lion at ye West Ende of the mote halle"
A report in the Ipswich Journal, May 22nd and 29th 1725*** makes reference to the House of Robert Hill, known by the name or sign of the Golden-Lyon in Ipswich.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal*** on September 21st 1745 to Elizabeth Hill, Widow at the Golden Lion, Ipswich.…
 The Moot Hall stood on the site of the present Town Hall.
 In the time of Queen Mary the Ipswich Martyrs were burnt at the stake on the Cornhill (in 1555) for their Protestant beliefs. A monument commemorating this event now stands in Christchurch Park.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** information supplied by Neil Langridge)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.