Ipswich Hare & Hounds
Ipswich Hare & Hounds
also traded as Hare and the Hounds
South West, 52.06107,1.14483
closed January 2011
30 Norwich Rd, IP1 2NJ
grid reference TM 156 449
The pub is shown on this OS town plan from about 1880. Note that at this time the section facing Orford Street had not been incorporated into the pub - this section used to be the Grapes. (larger map).
After several years of sporadically closing and reopening, this pub finally shut its doors in July 2010. The building is now used by nearby Coe's as a wedding shop.
It was a popular pre and post-match venue for football fans and was often the location of post-match violence according to reports in the local media.
It was listed in the Ipswich licensing records 1962-1977 as Hare and the Hounds.
At one time the final Hare & Hounds was two separate pubs; the Hare & Hounds (fronting Norwich Road, the lower section to the left when looking across Norwich Road) and the Grapes (the taller section on the corner and down Orford Street), listed variously at 1-3 Orford St and Regent St (Norwich Rd). We don't know when the two pubs merged, but it must have been after 1861 as we have census listings for both in that year.
It may also be listed at 32 Norwich Road.
no real aleCAMRA's 1997 Suffolk Real Ale Guide
To brewers or any other persons seeking a lucrative and genuine paying concern should note that George Turner is instructed under the Will of the late Mr I T Olive, to sell by auction, the old and well established Inn and Gin Shop. Prominently situated in Norwich Road, and known as the Hare and Hounds, in which a most successful business has been conducted for many years. This first rate public house is in complete repair, and replete with every requirement for carrying on a large trade. The interior comprises: On the ground floor, well fitted bar, bar parlour, and snug back ditto, large club or concert room, communicating with a tap room, large paved yard, wash house, and other offices, private entrance…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.