app

Ipswich Rose & Crown

Ipswich Rose & Crown

closed July 2011

opened 17th century

77 Norwich Rd, IP1 2PR

grid reference TM 155 450

The Rose & Crown finally closed in July 2011. Most signage had already been removed by mid-month. Planning permission for conversion to a Kurdish community centre was applied for; however, "renovation" work by the group was totally bodged, leading to Bramford Road having to be closed for a long period because of the risk the building might collapse.

Since then, the building has been partially demolished, but still stands in a terrible state.

A reference in the Ipswich Journal, July 10th & 17th 1726*** to the Rose and Crown in St Matthew's Parish, Ipswich.

Also listed at Whitten Road (in 1839) and as a 1830s brew pub.…

Map

map

Gallery

expand

Landlords

Landlords

(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)

Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.

X