Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Ipswich Royal William
Ipswich Royal William
also traded as Hoofers
141 London Rd
grid reference TM 151 445
The original name is claimed to refer to William IV - but that is unlikely as the pub clearly predates this king, renowned for his extravagant lifestyle. Once a large ornate garden was maintained between the pub and the river.
After a time as a lively nightclub bar in 1980s, the Royal William name returned in 1993 when it was refurbished. It was demolished for a new retail shop, together with the neighbouring Ipswich Arms in 1999.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map from the 1890s. interactive map
May also be listed in Handford Road.
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal, July 2nd 1726*** to William Starling at the Royal William, Ipswich.
To be lett, sixteen Acres of good Pasture Land, known by the Name of Tavern Meadow, adjoining Handford Bridge in Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, October 4th 1755*** (report may be related to this inn)
A reference appears in the Ipswich Journal on 16 October 16th 1756*** to a general Meeting of Smiths, at the Royal William, near Ipswich.
On Wednesday died, in St Peter's, Ipswich, Mrs Moore, formerly of the Royal William Inn.Ipswich Journal, May 1820**
William WOOLLARD, Florist, moving from Whitton Crown to the Royal William, Ipswich to operate both businesses.Ipswich Journal, October 25th 1823***
Married on the 23rd May 1835, Mr Woolard, of the Royal Willia…
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.