grid reference TM 165 448Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 30/12/2019
Ipswich Running Buck
also traded as as: Canes, Buck, Roe-Buck?historical closure era: late 20th century
closed June 1991
13-15 St Margaret's Plain
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689.
There was also a Buck's Head pub nearby in Upper Orwell Street. Some references, especially where they just mention the "Buck" may be confused between the two.
The building is now used as a religious drop-in centre after a period as Canes Nightclub.
The pub is shown (though not named) on this old OS map of 2017. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Carol Dyer)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.