Closed: about 1977
4 Bank St
grid reference TM 164 440
The pub is shown on this OS town plan from about 1880 (larger map).
The last incarnation of this pub was built in about 1920s. Earlier pubs seem to have been listed for various other local streets so it may have moved site in former times - if you know any more details please let us know!
Bank St used to be a continuation of Foundation St. running through to College St. and close to St Mary on Quay church. It has also been previously listed in Peter Street and in College Street.
The pub was listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Bildeston, Bury St Edmunds, Chelsworth, Eye, Framlingham, Fressingfield, Melford, Oakley, Thetford, Thorpe-le-Stoken and Wetheringsett.
The 1963-1977 Ipswich licensing records (the most recent available) show that the pub was open at least up to 1977.
Demolished in 1980.
At the Sea Horse in Ipswich, an old Licenced House, is to be immediately Lett with Brewing Vessels, Stables, and all other Conveniences : A Billard Table, and a Stock of Beer and Ale to be Sold at a reasonable Rate, and the House and Stables to be lett at a reasonable Rate between this and Lady-Day.Ipswich Journal, March 11th 1731***
To be lett, at Christmas next, a very well accustomed Inn, called the Sea Horse, in St Peter's Parish, Ipswich, now in the occupation of Mr Goldsmith. Inquire of Mr Henry Skynner, jun. in Ipswich.Ipswich Journal, November 5th 1736***
To be lett, an ancient and well-accustomed Publick-House, known by the Sign of the Seahorse, near St Mary Key Church, Ipswich. Enquire of Mr…
Thomas Wolsey was the second most powerful man in Tudor England, after King Henry VIII. The son of an Ipswich tavern-keeper, Wolsey became a cardinal, then Lord Chancellor and, finally, Archbishop of Canterbury. After his swift fall from grace in 1530, the college which he'd planned for his native town was never completed. All that remains today is the small gateway located nearby in College Street.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.