Although the government has now allowed pubs to reopen, many are still unable to do so safely, while most if not all are only able to accommodate limited numbers of customers. Many of them are still reliant on providing takeaway food and/or drinks. Some offer deliveries, while others are selling from the premises. This page lists details of those we know about.
If you can give any of our pubs some support through these difficult times by buying some takeaway food or drink, please do so. Our pubs need as much support as possible if they're going to still be there for us when the crisis is over.
Real Ale is sold here.
Church Ln, IP13 7JJ
grid reference TM 222 665
bar / diner, opened 1480
Situated about 100m along Church Lane in this small village it is a typical 2 bar rural pub with Suffolk Pink walls & a thatched roof. It has been under the management of the Grice family since the mid 1980’s. There is evidence within the pub that the building dates from 1500 or perhaps earlier. There are settles in the main bar together with an original bar billiards table. Also evidence that old bar games such as Devil among the Tailors & Suffolk Caves have been played at the pub
The building is thought to date from the 15th century. The pub only had a beerhouse license until the 1950s or 1960s.
Nearest railway station
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (interactive map)
The Framlingham Petty Sessions licensing records show an un-named Bedfield beerhouse run by Lottie Abbott in 1934. As the Dog was named, this was probably the Crown, but this can't yet be confirmed.
In the April/May 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the pub was due to reopen soon.
Reference in Played at the Pub pages 65 and 91 for Devil Amongst the Tailors and the only pub with Suffolk Caves.
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA memers since 1978)